Corcovado Lodge & Tent Camp for Sale
The property currently belongs to the Observatorio Biológico La Leona, S.A. (previously Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp), and is a piece of land measuring 701,651.91 m2 that includes lagoons, brooks, rain forest, and low-altitude cloud forest, as well as beach bordering the Pacific Ocean.
The Osa Peninsula is the home of the Parque Nacional Corcovado (Corcovado National Park), one of the places with the greatest biodiversity on the planet, a park that was very accurately described by National Geographic Magazine as the “most biologically intense place on Earth”. Walking around you can see several types of species native to the zone, such as sloths, monkeys, coatis, and scarlet macaws. Besides the trips in the park, visitors to this zone may enjoy the proximity of the ocean with scuba and snorkel trips or sports fishing tours.
Over 500 tree species have been identified, as well as 140 types of mammals, 367 types of birds, 40 types of fresh-water fish, 117 amphibians and reptiles, and an estimate of approximately 6000 species of insects.
Corcovado's climate is generally warm and very humid, with approximately 711 cm. of rain every year. The dry season normally lasts from the beginning of December until April.
The property also has the following:
- 5% of the total area is available for construction, that is, about 3.5 hectares of (35,000 m2).
- Flat area, about 2 hectares, located in one part in the zone adjacent the sea and the rest on the higher part of the hill. A strictly flat area does not exist.
- Availability of water: the water that is used in the hotel is water from the property, by means of its own stream.
- Regulating Plan: Is included in the contract with MINAE, the area of the Maritime-Terrestrial Zone is from the boundary marker 150 meters inside. The rest of the property is subject to National Regulation, in zones where there is no Regulator Plan, up to 10% of the area may be constructed upon, since it is a piece of land inside the Golfo Dulce Refuge, a handling and sustainability plan approved by MINAET and SETENA will be necessary in order to ask the Municipality for permission. There are many constructions in Osa that have followed this regulation, including several hotels.
- Primary forest is estimated in 80%, the rest was a tacotal (green area of growths) that was regenerated and that now looks similar to primary forest.
The same concept of “Legendary Service, Unforgettable Memories”, that is enjoyed by our guests in Monteverde Lodge and in Tortuga Lodge, was developed in Corcovado Lodge, easily distinguishable from other hotels in the Osa Peninsula.
The hotel itself earned a prize from Travel and Leisure Magazine in November 1995, as well as the Travel Section of the New York Times, Sunday Edition, February 16, 1996.
At one time all marketing and reservations were handled through Costa Rica Expeditions, a company with a rich knowledge of the Osa zone, astute in knowing the products guests are looking for, and even more importantly, a company with over 20 years experience moving clients to and from the Pacific’s remote zone, where the hotel is situated.
When the hotel was operating, it had 20 comfortable tents that had as bases wooden platforms, each one with 2 single beds. It also had a dining-room and a kitchen with mesh and a straw roof and two houses with community bathrooms, each one with 4 showers, 4 toilets, and 4 lavatories. Electricity is supplied by a small electric generator.
The closing of Corcovado Lodge Tent & Camp occurred in September 2008, due to the fact that part of the idea at this time was to reconstruct the hotel under a new concept. With the arrival of the “Real Estate Crisis” in the United States in the years 2008 and 2009, the idea was to ‘freeze’ until further notice.
Corporación Crear de San José, S.A. is the company’s headquarters, which owns 100% of the common shares of Observatorio Biológico La Leona S.A. At the present time, the property is free of all types of debts or mortgages.
- Trade Name: Observatorio Biológico La Leona, S.A.
- Fancy Name: Corcovado Lodge Tent and Camp
- Company’s Situation: Active up to filing of taxes, D-101, D-103, D-104, D-151, D-152.
- Corporate I.D.: 3-101-102637-33
- Physical Domicile: Carate, from the Landing Strip, 2 kms East, Golfito, Puntarenas
- Location: Province: 06 Puntarenas / Canton: 07 Golfito / District: 02 Puerto Jiménez
- Geographical Coordinates: Latitude 8º26’46. 79” N / Longitude: 83º 28’22.06”W
- Type of economic activity: Mountain Hotel / Beach up until September 2008.
- Main Shareholders: Corporación Crear de San José, S.A. (100%)
- Juridical form: Corporation
- Social capital: is ¢134,924,800 (one hundred and thirty-four million, nine hundred and twenty-four thousand eight hundred colones) (2012)
- Legal Representative: Lidia Yolanda Amaya Gavidia, I.D. card 8-0060-0332, Universal Attorney-in-fact with no Limitation of Sum.
- Construction Date: May 31, 1989
- Public Registry: Volume 588 / Folio 067 / Entry 077
- Date Initiation of Activity: September 01,1992
- End of Activity: September 01, 2008
- Number of Employees: 3 (year 2012)
- Banking Entities: Yes
- Banco Nacional de Costa Rica - Account CRC/USD
- BAC San José – CRC Account
- Commercial patents:
- Hotel License Certificate Nº 000429 – Expiring February 20th, 2015
- Restaurant License Certificate Nº 000428 – Expiring February 20th, 2015
- Health Functional Permit
- Nº 0142-2014 – Hotel - Expiring February 12th, 2019
- Nº 0141-2014 – Restaurant - Expiring February 12th, 2015
- Size of land: 701651-91 m2
- Survey Map: P-1336288-2009
- Map Date: May 2008
- Geographic Location: Carate Sheet 3541-III
- Nature of land/business: pasture land, secondary and primary forest destined to a pasture area, hotel, restaurant, room tourist services, natural regeneration and conservation.
- North: National Corcovado Park with La Leona Brook in the middle
- South: Observatorio Biológico La Leona S.A.
- East: Gilberto Morales Jiménez, Astro Realty Y Trust S.A. and Inversiones Proposa S.A.
- West: Salma Polanco Gutiérrez
(See chapter IV – Exploitation canon MINAET (1991))
- MINAE Resolution: Nº 003-91 DMPF
- Used Area: 7 ha 3944 m2
- North: Forest area and repast land Observatorio Biológico La Leona, S.A.
- South: Public zone of Maritime—Terrestrial Zone
- East: Restricted zone of Maritime-Terrestrial Zone
- West: Restricted zone of Maritime-Terrestrial Zone
- Location: Within the area declared Golfo Dulce Forestry Reserve, as per Executive decree 8494-A of April 28, 1978, and its modifications
View property photography of grounds, beach and existing structures
LOCATION AND CONTACT
General location, survey map and contact form